Monday, February 21, 2011

Impact on Professional Practice

Assumptions
As a teacher in the classroom, I am guilty of making unfair assumptions/judgements of students.  Too often, I do what Payne implores teachers to reject, which is separating intelligence and ability from poverty (Payne, 2005).  For example, John (name changed) is a student in my first period social studies classroom.  John cannot afford a book bag, wears the same clothes on a regular basis, looks unkempt, and takes the RTA bus to school everyday.  When the school year began, I quickly made assumptions that John would struggle in my classroom, because he did not fit the "ideal" stereotype of a successful student in my classroom.  However, John has proven to be one of my brightest students.  John takes an interest in the class and has shown me that to be a successful teacher, I must separate intelligence and ability from poverty.

Intentionality
According to Payne, two things that help one move out of poverty are education and relationships (Payne, 2005).  The most successful classroom teachers are intentional; they seek to educate students and build relationships.  When teachers are intentional, they are purposeful in their interactions with students.  Intentionality is immensely important as teachers prepare students for end of course exams/standardized tests, and form relationships.  Regarding poverty, being intentional is the key to helping move students out of poverty.

References

Payne, R.K. (2005).  A framework for understanding poverty.  (4th ed.) The Highlands, TX: aha! Process, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment